It’s that time of year again, when the kids go back to school, bringing home homework, half eaten lunches, runny noses, and a whole lot of germs. Let’s beat the bug this year by learning how to naturally build up antibodies instead of relying on sick days and problematic antibiotics.
- Wash your hands: Wash your hands frequently with warm water and soap. You may want to avoid anti-bacterial soaps, which tend to dry the hands and create harmful chemicals in the environment (1).
- Catch some z’s: When you reach the deeper stages of sleep your body restores itself by releasing chemicals into our system that enhance our immune system. This strengthens our ability to fight germs and bacteria during the day. According to the National Sleep Foundation, we should get between 7 and 9 hours of solid sleep a night (2). So put your pj’s on — it’s time to fight off illness.
- Take the sunny side of the street: It’s important that you expose yourself to enough sunlight during the winter months. Get that immune boosting vitamin D into your system! Experts suggest 10 minutes in the midday sun (3).
- Juice it up: Try juicing your fruits and veggies this winter. Drinking your fruits and vegetables is a quick easy way to absorb nutrients and it also helps flush out toxins that could get you sick. Make sure you do your own juicing though. Most store bought juices are heat-treated to kill germs, which causes the juice to lose most nutrients (4).
- Keep it clean: Make sure you are disinfecting the items you touch most in your home. Light switches, refrigerator doors, toys, TV remotes, phone and computers. Colds and flus are most frequently caught by touching something another sick person has touched. Germs can last up to 3 hours on a surface (5). If you wash your hands and disinfect your house with alcohol, you decrease your risk of ingesting the germs.
- Move that body: Exercise is a great way to stay fit and healthy. When we live a sedentary life our body ages and decays. So head outside for a walk. Yoga is a great way to flush toxins from your lymphatic system (6), so you can twist, stretch and turn yourself away from sickness.
- Watch what you drink: When we drink alcohol, our liver has to work a bit harder. So when you feel like you may be getting sick, cut yourself off. You also want to get a solid night’s sleep, so avoid too much caffeine during the day.
- Earn some garlic breath: Garlic breath beats flu breath, as far as I’m concerned. You can integrate this ingredient into your food each and every day. Garlic contains antioxidants (7), antifungal, antiparasitic and antiviral properties (8). It is used in Russia so frequently that they have coined it “Russian Penicillin.”(9)
- Reduce stress: When you stress out, your body secrets hormones that slow down activity in the thymus gland and white blood cells, which we need working in order to keep us healthy. Keeping anxiety and stress at bay is a must. So get a massage, meditate a little or try having fun with friends and family. This will help keep you happy and healthy (10).
- Realize the power of NO: We tend to get sick when we over-commit. It’s our bodies’ way of telling us it needs rest between activities and stressors. When you feel run down, a sure way to get yourself sick is to not listen to your body and keep going. Make sure you use the awesome power of NO when you are asked to keep pushing past exhaustion.
If you want to stay flu bug-free this year, then be sure to take a very active approach before it’s too late. Our bodies’ have amazing resiliency to them–even more so when we actively integrate a health conscious attitude into our everyday life. Here’s to a happy healthy winter, my friends… it’s going to be a good one.
Sarah Stevenson, a.k.a., The Tini Yogini, is a Certified Yoga Instructor in Southern California. She has a degree in Behavioral Psychology and teaches not only yoga classes but also life affirming workshops. She also writes for www.beachbody.com, which provides effective home fitness programs for all fitness levels including the Les Mill Pump exercise videos.
1. Larson, E. 2001. Hygiene of the Skin: When is Clean Too Clean? Emerging Infectious Diseases. 7(2) Mar-Apr 2001.
3. University Of Manchester (2005, May 26). Midday Sun Holds The Key To Good Health.
4. Fortin ND. Food Regulation: Law, Science, Policy and Practice. John Wiley and Sons, 2009, ISBN O-470-12709-0, p. 288
5. Gwaltney JM Jr, Halstead SB (July 1997). “Contagiousness of the common cold”. Journal of the American Medical Association 278 (3): 256.
6. McCall, T. (2007). Yoga as medicine: The yogic prescription for health and healing. Bantam.
7. Borek, C. (2001). Antioxidant health effects of aged garlic extract. The Journal of nutrition, 131(3), 1010S-1015S.
8. Bongiorno, P. B., Fratellone, P. M., & LoGiudice, P. (2008). Potential health benefits of garlic (Allium sativum): a narrative review. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, 5(1).
9. Shamseer, L., Charrois, T. L., & Vohra, S. (2006). Complementary, Holistic, and Integrative Medicine Garlic. Pediatrics in Review, 27(12), e77-e80.
10. Glaser, R., & Kiecolt-Glaser, J. K. (2005). Stress-induced immune dysfunction: implications for health. Nature Reviews Immunology, 5(3), 243-251.
Dog Training Tips – What You Need to Know
While kids everywhere else in the world (especially in Finland!) relax and probably enjoy their studies, the kids in India aren’t so lucky.
Everyone else already has a laptop and is well-versed with it, and yet our children continue to do things the old-fashioned way.
It’s typical of this country to lag behind in a number of departments but it’s sacrilege when it comes to hampering the future of our nation. To be honest, this has been my biggest gripe for a while now, thanks to being able to see the difference the way different education systems work.
At least, they don’t hit children anymore because this generation of kids are more than happy to stand up to their adults and rebel verbally and violently.
Speaking of disciplinary action such as this, why should we use it especially since most dog trainers have moved away from training dogs this way as well. There are certain cases, like training dogs in a city, that can make things more difficult. However, a few simple tips can help one navigate these sometimes troublesome waters.
A Few Thoughts on Dog Training
You might say that humans and animals are different but it begs the question: Is cruelty necessary?
It isn’t, truly. But that’s how dogs have been trained in the past.
The general attitude towards teaching obedience training has been harsh, to say the least. Whether it is a beating or even shock collars to keep them in check, one wonders if it is fair since we wouldn’t be allowed to treat humans that way too.
So, it is not with love and affection that the poor canines were trained but by subjugation and inculcating behaviors that were forced due to the “fear of punishment”.
Thankfully, common sense prevailed and a method known as ‘positive reinforcement’ has changed the way dog training is done now.
In other words, instead of punishing them for bad behavior, we reward them for good behavior instead.
What does happen is that when they are rewarded, they tend to do what pleases the ‘master’ if only for a few more treats.
It is how school children should be treated as well when learning manners too. One should refrain from criticizing their children but encouraging them for their achievements, however minimal.
That said, here are a few dog training tips that one can use even if the services of a dog trainer isn’t required at all.
Dog Training Tips – The Basics
The most popular commands that are taught are sit, down, heel, recall, stay and close where the right behavior is rewarded and the wrong is ignored.
While these commands are necessary, there are others that can cause problems with friends and family, and so here are a few situations that a dog must be trained for:
#1: Not to Bite
When they have the urge to bite, tug at their leash so as to divert their attention to something else that interests him or her.
#2: Fetch an object
Throw a tennis ball and walk away so that the dog gets it back for you. Then you can teach it to fetch other objects such as the newspaper too as it understand the meaning of this command.
#3: Not to bark at visitors
Since this can be scary for visitor, train them to “sit” as soon as the doorbell rings.
#4: Crate training puppies
Using a kennel crate works best as they are more likely to pee or poop when they are asleep.
So, are there any other dog training tips that you would like to add to this list? Feel free to add them in the comments section below.
Also, here is an article on the best dog foods.
What You Need for the Perfect Gym Storage Solution
If you operate your own professional gym or are looking to create a home setup, it’s crucial that you carefully consider your storage solutions. A tidy gym is without doubt a happy environment for people to work out in!
Good storage will help protect equipment from scratches and other damage, make it easy to find where equipment has been left, and prevent hazards such as trips.
It can also help the gym to feel more of a clean and organised environment that can keep members motivated while working out, which typically leads to a higher retention rate.
When it comes to gym storage, there are not many companies around that share the same expert knowledge as PowerGym Fitness. PowerGym is a supplier of commercial gym equipment, from weights and barbells to high-end strength training machines, with clients throughout the world.
They are also experienced in providing gyms with advice and support for installing the perfect setup.
PowerGym Fitness have provided us with some pointers on how you can create the perfect gym storage solution for your commercial facility or home setup.
The type of storage you will require can depend on the type of equipment that your gym provides. For example, some gyms may specialize in cardio equipment as opposed to strength training, or vice versa. That said, most gyms will typically include dumbbells.
Dumbbells are a popular form of free weights that can help users to build muscle mass. Dumbbell racks are one of the best ways that you can keep your gym tidy and free of hazards.
Without a rack, there would be no designated place for members to collect and return a dumbbell. Dumbbells left on the floor can cause damage and can be hazardous for other members when walking around the gym space.
These racks are designed to securely hold a certain amount of dumbbells when they are not in use. All round, it adds a safer and more organised structure to your environment and increases the longevity of the dumbbells.
Weight Plates Holders
As with dumbbells, most gyms typically include some type of weight plates. Tri grip and bumper weight plates are two examples that are available for purchase at PowerGym Fitness.
The plates can be attached to a barbell which can be used for effective and flexible weightlifting routines. One type of weight plate holder includes a storage tree.
This provides the option of a simple vertical holder where the plates can just slide on to a storage horn. Another option is a wall weight plate storage, allowing easy access to plates from a wall position – plus, it saves up space and improves the aesthetic design of your gym!
Gym mats are essential for exercises that require closer physical contact with the floor. This can include press-up exercises as well as Yoga, Pilates and studio workouts. Mats provide an extra level of comfort so that you don’t encounter discomfort when encountering the floor.
Mats can be used by a lot of people each day, so naturally there’s a lot of wear and tear. Mats that aren’t stored properly can lead to greater damage which will result in you needing to replace the mats sooner than should be required. With a mat hanger, when the mats are not in use, they can be stored safely to prevent unnecessary damage.
Whether you use a barbell freely or with a weight plate attached, it’s important that you store the bar appropriately when it’s not in use. Bars can be very heavy which can lead to floor damage and potentially serious injury if it drops to the floor or is left unsecured.
Like with weight plates, there are options for horizontal and vertical storage. These storage products can either be attached to the wall or the floor. They provide an organised and safe place for barbells to rest when not in use.
Cable Attachment Racks
Cable attachments are additional products that can help athletes take their strength training to the next level with varied workouts. With several types of attachments available, from revolving bars to handles and ropes, they expand the options that are available on a cable machine.
Most of these attachments are quite small, so it can be easy for them to become lost or get muddled in with other pieces of equipment. A cable attachment rack is a great way to store the attachments so that gym members can easily see where the attachments they require are placed.
Power Rack Storage Horns
Power racks are fantastic pieces of equipment to have in your gym. They are premium products that often act as the centerpiece of the gym. Power racks provide a safe space to perform a wide range of exercises, with freedom of choice left to the user.
Alongside the power rack, it’s widely recommended that you get storage horns that will seamlessly attach to the power rack. These horns can then be used as a storage option for weight plates. It will allow you to free up space around the gym and provides users with a quick and easy way to access the plates they need.
The storage options that we have talked about so far clearly relate to products that have been specifically designed for certain gym equipment. To improve the tidiness, safety and structure of your facility event further, you can get a storage cage that will hold the rest of your smaller items.
This can include things such as medicine balls and bags, as well as boxing equipment. The cage can usually be locked for added security and with lockable wheels, it’s easy to transport the equipment from place to place.
Top Five Supplement Reviews To Check Out
In this modern world, we are so used to having a lot of “instant”. Most of us are not used to the long and arduous processes, even though we think we do. You may have noticed the impatience of most people especially when it comes to services. They want to have what they want right now, and this is why most companies adapt to the situation.
You can see it in their products and services; they want to deliver it fast enough to save more time. The same reason applies to humans who want them all as soon as they can. Even the food industry has to go with this notion, but this has also led to a new trend: obesity.
This may not be a problem in most countries. In the West though, it is considered a major health issue. There has been an increase in the overall weight of the US population for example; at least 40% of the people over 20 are overweight as this article reveals.
It has been such a serious problem due to the prevalence of fast-food chains. There is nothing wrong with consuming them, but many depend on them for their daily diet. With all of its sugars and salt, it can be quite detrimental to your health in the long run.
New Horizons in Medicine
Fortunately, there have been advances in the field of medicine as well. Weight loss has become way different compared to the way it was in the previous century. People did not know anything about it. There was a time when fat is considered as the devil’s advocate of being overweight, and sugar was thought to be the healthier option. Even though this has already changed in recent times, there is still a prevalence of this kind of thought in many circles. If you want to lose weight, you need to read and learn more about the proper way of doing it.
There might be a lot of factors that can contribute to this goal but we are just going to narrow it down to three: diet, exercise, and genetics. There is nothing that we can do with the last one though since this is already in our system. Some people might be lucky enough that they do not need to control their diet or even exercise. Their bodies have already reached their full potential, so all they need to do is to maintain it.
Unfortunately, others are not that lucky. It is either they need to have a rigorous diet plan, more exercise, or both. It is a lot of effort to lose the mass, but it can be worth it in the end. You may visit Supplement Smarts website and other similar sites to learn more info regarding this.
If you are experiencing difficulties or you want to have the results faster, then you might need to take a supplement for that. There are many options in the market these days, so choosing just one can be quite confusing. You also need to understand that not all of these supplements may work for you. Below are some of the best substances that can certainly help you with weight loss.
Options for Cutting Those Flabs
Everyone knows what this is; it is just the main ingredient in the most popular beverage in the world besides water. Aside from being the universal pick-me-up in the mornings, it has also been found that caffeine can assist in weight loss.
It speeds up metabolism moderately, which also helps in the faster absorption of calorie intake and fat burning process. However, you do need to take it in conjunction with other substances for it to take on full effects. You also need to be careful as it can still cause dependence.
Green tea Extract
Another common beverage that has some medicinal properties, green tea has been around for ages. It has its origins in China, but the rest of the world is already enjoying it. However, green tea is the fresher version and it has little to no added processing in its consumption.
It is rich in antioxidants, as well as having the ability to burn fat. It is more focused on the stomach area though, where most of our extra fat goes anyway. If you want to reduce your waistline, then having this a part of your daily supplement may help with that. Check this link https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269538 to know more.
Garcinia cambogia Extract
This might seem to be unfamiliar to most people, but it has been gaining some popularity in the previous decade due to its mainstream exposure. It is a green fruit with pale flesh, and it is native to Indonesia although other countries have started cultivating it as well.
Garcinia cambogia contains hydroxycitric acid, also known as citric acid lyase. This is said to help in losing weight by also removing excess fat from the body. There are still ongoing studies about this as there is unclear evidence of how it works. However, it is safe to consume as long as you control your dose.
This is another form of supplement, but this time it is a combination of other substances including caffeine, wild mint extract, and cumin extract among others. It was developed by MuscleTech Research and Development, and it aims to help you lose those extra pounds.
It has been rather popular for the first ten years of its existence due to these various extracts. Even though it is under one name, there are many kinds of it available in the market. Some of them even exclude some ingredients like caffeine for those who have adverse effects from taking them.
Lastly, this is a diet supplement made from a root vegetable called konjac or elephant yam. It is full of fiber amongst other nutrients, which make them great for controlling your eating habits. Once you eat or drink a supplement, it will make you feel full because of all the fiber.
It will also help with digestion and excretion of wastes in your stomach. However, you will need to drink a lot of water when using this as it can promote too much hydration loss. You will also need to check on your doctor if you can use this safely and follow the dosage always.
Dog Training Tips – What You Need to Know
What You Need for the Perfect Gym Storage Solution
Top Five Supplement Reviews To Check Out
Dianabol for Sale – What You Need to Know
Everything You Need For A Home Gym Fitness
- Company8 years ago
- Articles4 years ago
30 Sexiest Things to Say to Your Girlfriend
- Articles5 years ago
4 Reasons Why She Doesn’t Call You Back
- Articles5 years ago
Simple Technique to Give Her a Mind-Blowing Orgasm AND Last Longer Too
- Articles7 years ago
10 Tips on How to Last Longer in Bed
- Company7 years ago
- Fitness Gear4 years ago
Best Wrist Wraps for Strength & Support
- Articles4 years ago
Peanut Nutrition – Pros Vs. Cons