In a recent study conducted by the British Columbia University, it was found that those who “give” tend to feel that much better than those who wish to keep stuff for themselves. And the popular refrain, “For it is better to give than to receive…” does ring a bell… doesn’t it? And while this adage is as traditional as it reads, the spirit of giving takes on a once-in-a-year note when the holidays are just around the corner, as this is a tradition that has been upheld for a while now.
Oh, and well, the spirit of Scrooge that tends to cause us to shirk away from doing our good deed for the day, if only for a day!
And as obvious as it is, this state of being miserly tends to focus on one gender alone: yes, men!
And if that’s not enough, men are often judged to not put thought into their gifts, or sometimes even forget to buy during the most important times of their relationship… and the thing is that they’re right.
Fitness, Gifting and the Holidays
And if there’s anything that one does not look after during the holidays, it is the momentum that they have generated in terms of their exercise and diet. And since women love surprises in the form of thoughtful gifts as well as their fitness levels, it bodes well for men to actually get started on that thoughtful gift especially if they intend to have a ‘happy’ New Year.
And even though the statistics side heavily with women on this one, there are some women (who play an alpha role of sorts in the relationship) that are guilty of doing the same, leading to the only conclusion that both this applies to both sexes.
But where would women/ men go to find gifts that not only encourage their partner to be fit but also find something that is classy enough to treasure for a lifetime?
With the commercialization that has crept into the holiday season has resulted in the fact that there might only a few places at which this ‘niche’ type of gifting options might be obtainable.
Holiday Gift Guide for Men (or Women)
But there are options that one can explore for the fitness junkie in all of us… and they don’t have to be expensive either. So here is a list of items that one can think of buying their partner that will encourage their desire to stay fit:
1. Gym Wear
If your partner likes to hit the gym ready for action, exploring top brands that provide fitness gear from exorbitant to affordable rates can be a good idea. And you can always get bargains during the holidays which can cost $50 to $100. One can get a slew of gym equipment such as kettlebells, training vests, power loops and so on and so forth.
2. Yoga buffs
If your partner enjoys yoga, perhaps the only thing that they would need is a mat which one can obtain for at least $ 50 or so.
3. Other thoughtful gift ideas (that are inexpensive)
– Itunes gift card which one can use to download fitness related stuff
– Dark chocolate
– Accessories such as training gloves, fitness assistants, socks, sweatbands, sports underwear, sportsbeans and drinks that will show them that you want to help makes things easier when it comes to working out. And you can check which one they need the most… which will personalize the gift as well.
– Dry shampoos and sport washes can be excellent gifts as well.
– Most of all, to indicate encouragement of their progress, perhaps the subscription to a fitness magazine might do the trick as well.
So whether you’re broke or cheap or even a spendthrift, you will always find gifts that will thrill your partner during the holidays. After all, it’s the thought that counts…
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Location for Your Fitness Center
A lot goes into building a fitness center and making it a successful business, and your initial instincts are right: One of the things that matters the most is location, location, location. Here are some tips to help you find the one that will work best for you.
1. Figure out what kind of building you need for your fitness center. Do you want your own, stand-alone property, or will you be best served in a building that houses many businesses (like a strip mall or office park)? If you want your own building, make sure you plan to budget for things like making sure the foundation is stable and solid, that all of the wiring is up to code, etc. It’s sort of like buying a house, but for your business. Of course, utilizing space in a shared building has its own set of issues you’ll have to deal with, too.
2. What kind of clientele do you most want to serve? Are you after the wealthy, nobody-seems-to-have-a-day-job types? Are you primarily interested in helping kids? Do you want to limit your clientele to one gender? All of these things factor in when it comes to where you should put your business. For example: If you want to serve business executives, your gym will work far better in your city’s business or financial district than it will if it’s all the way on the outskirts of town.
3. What kind of fitness center do you want to have? Are you going for the “standard” treadmills, elliptical, lots-of-equipment-type of fitness center? Are you going to be building a yoga studio or a center that focuses on fitness through martial arts training? Are you going to be offering Cross Fit or boot-camp-style programs? Each of these different types of fitness has different physical requirements.
4. How easy is it for people to get to your business? If you live in a larger city, make sure you take things like public transportation into account as well as easy freeway access. The harder it is for people to get to you, the less likely you are to build a business that becomes successful. Yes, people do actually take the bus or the train to go to the gym, especially if they believe that your fitness center is worth the trip!
5. Make sure you have enough parking. Why would somebody visit a fitness center whose parking situation forces them to have to walk half a mile from where they parked to your front door? That’s a quick workout right there! There are lots of different factors that go into figuring out how many parking spots you need. A good rule of thumb is to have a parking spot available for each piece of equipment you have (or each mat space, etc.) plus a few extra.
These tips are just the beginning. Try not to worry too much, though—your business will be up, running, and successful before you know it!
How to Set Goals
FC Barcelona Vs. Manchester United. In the Champions League soccer finals this year, it was these sides that clashed, and what a one-sided battle it was. Just like 2008, the latter gave up without any complaint, it seemed.
And if there was anyone who stole the show, it was Messi all the way, right from the start of their Champions League campaign.
And the beauty of it all is that they achieved this tough goal of being Europe’s champions by taking little baby steps that begins with the youth at the La Masia, Barcelona’s youth academy. (La Masia means ‘the farmhouse’)
It serves as an excellent example for those who love sport and are willing to put in long years of hard work in order to get to the top. And it’s no different with implementing a workout regime to certain goals either.
While some people might refer to the phrase ‘the goalposts being moved’ as something that might throw you off guard if you are sticking to a plan, in most cases, these circumstances that are out of your control rarely occur.
Goal setting is not that difficult, really… and can applied to any area of your Life.
Whether it is to increase the amount of money you want to have in your bank accounts, or to pursue a quality education that will change your life for the better. What really matters here is direction and energy (quite literally, in the example of a workout regime) to pursue these goals… and you will get what you want.
One of the best methods to do this is by using the SMART goal setting technique that has been tried and tested now for years.
(Here’s a detailed link which shows you how to use the SMART technique for any goal that you wish to accomplish.)
While this is a more generic solution to the objective of goal-setting, let’s look at a few tips that might help use this technique smartly.
How to Set Goals for Achieving Results (in the case of a workout)
Here are five tips that can help you to set goals that are result-oriented in particular to a workout that has been designed specifically to get you looking fit:
Tip #1: Visualize, visualize, visualize…
Importantly, in being to get a mental picture of how you want to look, it often gives you a clear idea of what you have to work on in order to get there. If you think, “Oh, I’m working out to get fit”… this isn’t enough.
For example, use Arnie’s or another fitness expert pinup for inspiration. That should be a high-standard to work towards…
Tip #2: Be open
Some workouts can give you good results while others are a little slower. Don’t stick to the latter just because that’s the only thing you want to do. Try a new workout or two as you might just like it…
Tip #3: Mapping Progress
This aspect works as motivation as you work towards your goals along the way. Most people give up on working out because they are unable to map progress. If you can do this by checking how you fit into your old clothes or looking at yourself in the mirror, that can motivate you to try harder.
Tip #4: Goals take time
A tree doesn’t grow up in a day but it takes years and years until it begins to bear fruits. Reaching one’s goals is similar to this including workouts as well. Despite all the hoaxes and promises that you might read over the internet, most fitness experts have got that body to die for by putting years of effort in.
Tip #5: Giving up is for losers
This is as good as leaving a job half-done which any boss will not appreciate. So don’t give up. if you want, take a break… but DON’T give up!
If you watch the Barcelona players when their on the field, you’ll know that they savor each moment of the game as they continue to make magic on the field. And it’s no different with working out either…
Kettlebell Weights – Everything You Need to Know
On a recent post that I read about Russians, I read that they believe that Americans believe that bears walk the streets in Moscow. Contrary to popular opinion, most Americans are said to actually believe that there are no bears left in Russia to begin with.
If that doesn’t tell how weird this former superpower was, it’s also said that sushi is far more popular in Russia than it is in Japan.
Speaking of popularity and Russia’s quirky ways, it’s only recently that kettlebell weights have gotten attention for their benefits even Russians have been using them since the 1700s.
Kettlebell Weights – An Introduction
So, what are kettlebell weights?
Of course, we’re all accustomed to the proverbial pair of dumbbells, weight machines as well as barbell weights.
One might wonder: Are they as good as the aforementioned gym equipment? Are they usable no matter which level of fitness you are at? If so, how are they used in a workout?
When kettlebell weights were first created, they weren’t used for anything but to just throw or swing around, until someone realized how effective they were for exercise.
Shaped like a cannonball with a handle, these weights are used for ballistic exercises nowadays to not only builds cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and strength, and available in the weight range of 8 to 48 kgs.
The secret to using kettlebells effectively lies in understanding how to use them, and so reading this article which deals with the question “why use kettlebells” tells you almost everything that you need to know about this form of training.
Yet one point appealed to me and that was the ability to burn fat from even a 20-minute workout, provided the exercises that you pick are intense enough.
Best part: you won’t need to rack on weight in order to build strength but do by going through with swinging or ballistic motion to really get into shape. And I mean really get into shape because this training implement is not only used by a plethora of movie stars but also those in the armed forces at the highest level.
While the benefits are plentiful and tend to offer a lot more than conventional weights do, the truth is that using these weights are only for those who have put some time in the gym, and are not necessarily averse to weights.
One more thing- if you’ve got a bad back, strained shoulders or a weak core, it’s advisable to stay away from these weights until you try using them.
Kettlebell Weights – What You Need to Know
So, what do these weights focus on, when performing a routine?
Apart from the benefits earlier, the exercises are designed to strengthen the lower back, shoulders, legs and one’s grip as well. And much more…
Here’s an article that explain why kettlebells are a smart replacement for dumbbells.
Finally, if you’re interested in a kettlebell routine, here’s a link to a few kettlebell exercises that can give you a good picture as to how these workouts are performed.
Have you used kettlebell weights in training? If so, are there any benefits that you’ve noticed that aren’t mentioned here? Feel free to share them in the comments section below.
- Company4 years ago
- Articles2 years ago
4 Reasons Why She Doesn’t Call You Back
- Articles2 months ago
30 Sexiest Things to Say to Your Girlfriend
- Articles3 years ago
10 Tips on How to Last Longer in Bed
- Articles4 years ago
How to RollerBlade Like A Pro – Or How to Get Started
- Articles1 year ago
Normal Resting Heart Rate
- Company3 years ago
- Articles4 years ago
The Benefits of Lavender Aromatherapy